WE WELCOME YOUR VIEWS AND COMMENTS!

The idea for the American Enrichment Program is to provide an outlet for those who want to "LET IT OUT!" Browse through the blogs, and give us your thoughts. Check back often! We encourage spirited and uplifting debate on issues. You may agree or disagree with the blogs..but we ask that everyone be respectful and courteous to all.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

PROFILING...TO DIE FOR!

With the recent apprehension of suspected terrorist (or rather "conflict starter" using Obama's non-use of the word terrorist) Abdulmatallab, racial profiling is again making news. Should we inspect those fitting the "conflict starter" profile a little closer than others? Is it demeaning to be "profiled"? Are we discriminating against those who fit the "profile"? Are we setting the country back 20 - 50 - or even 100 years by doing this?


I am a white male married to a hispanic lady. Prior to our meeting, I was somewhat ignorant to the issue as I could not remember a time of being discriminiated against. Since knowing my wife, she had brought to my attention how store clerks and others would watch her (and for being with her my) every move while shopping or using their services. While I cannot pretend to know what discrimination is like on all levels, but with that experience I have a better understanding of it after these experiences. There certainly is a level of anger that is uncomprehensable to someone who has never felt or perceived discrimination.

That being said....If it is of national security, I have no problem with racial profiling. Until we get a better system, I am for anything that will protect our way of life. Racial profiling is sometimes a necessary evil. If we know the area where the radical enemy is, the background of the radical enemy, and the mannerism of the radical enemy, it is only prudent to ask additional questionsof those fitting that "profile."

I was fortunate to live a few months in Sweden back in the late 1980's. I went with a tour group to Russia. The tour group (mostly of a mix of Swedes and Norwegians) was held up while the boarder guards went though my luggage and asked me many questions. This was just after the cold war. I understood why and complied. The guards were being protective of their country. I was not offended (actually quite amused by it). Now this is obviously not the same as the current issue, but the same principle I believe. We want to protect our country.

Simply put, poltical correctness is not something I, nor anyone else should have to die for.

No comments:

Post a Comment